Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a Danish international non-governmental organisation, which promotes and supports durable solutions to the problems faced by refugees and internally displaced people all over the world. DRC is present in more than 30 conflict territories around the world assisting displaced people with shelter, food, income-generating activities, and a wide range of other assistance. It is of utmost importance for DRC to work in compliance with the DRC Accountability and Quality Management system and national legislations. Smooth, reliable and effective operational systems are preconditions for DRC to maintain its position as a trustworthy and reliable partner for our donors and an accountable organisation towards our beneficiaries.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: WASH and Shelter Assistant
Location: Banki, Borno
Type of Contract (Expat/National/Trainee): National Contract
Employment Period: 6 Months with possibility of extension.
Area of Operation: Nigeria
Level: NM-I step 0
Start Date: ASAP
Supervised by: WASH and Shelter Team Leader
Reporting to: WASH and Shelter Team Leader
- Danish Refugee Council (DRC), and its safety unit, has had an operational presence in Nigeria since 2015. DRC Nigeria is the largest DRC country mission in the West Africa region and one of the largest DRC country missions globally.
- Currently, DRC delivers life-saving assistance and protection to vulnerable, conflict-affected populations including internally displaced persons, returnees, and host communities in the areas of armed violence reduction, humanitarian mine action, livelihoods, nutrition and food security, protection, shelter, and non-food items (NFI) and water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) in 30+ Local Government Areas (LGAs) across Borno, Adamawa states in northeast Nigeria.
- The WASH and Shelter assistant, under the supervision of the WASH & Shelter Team Lead, is responsible for the day-to-day implementation of the various WASH and Shelter activities in the field locations under his/her responsibility.
- He is to assist the WASH/Shelter Officer in ensuring the quality of the planning, implementation and follow-up of WASH and Shelter activities being implemented by DRC.
Duties and Responsibilities
General Programming & Operations:
- Carrying out Wash and Shelter needs assessment for returning refugees and IDPs and using results in designing intervention measures.
- Monitor WASH and Shelter activities, construction works progress, costs, and schedule in accordance with project plan and taking of appropriate actions.
- Ensure archiving of WASH and Shelter logs and procurement records.
- Participate in preparations of WASH and Shelter flight and vehicle plans.
- Ensure efficient and Effective program implementation while following work plan.
- Participate in preparing and Providing Inputs monthly/quarterly/annual highlights/ reports
- Mobilization of beneficiary communities to maintain the established WASH and shelter resources.
- Assist in project implementation and reporting.
Coordination and Representation:
- Collaborate with relevant Internal and External technical experts on issues related to WASH and shelter.
- Represent DRC at WASH and shelter meetings and other relevant technical coordination meetings at the field level if needed.
- Ensure integration and support of WASH and Shelter activities with other DRC sectors.
- Coordinate with WASH, RRM, and Shelter counterparts in other locations in the implementation of common funded projects.
- Ensure good representation and reputation of WASH and Shelter sector at all levels.
- Actively participate in internal coordination meetings
- The responsibilities listed in the JD are not exhaustive and may be readjusted according to operational needs but will remain in line with the overall purpose of the role.
Education: (include certificates, licenses etc.)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil / Water Engineering or Architecture from a recognized institution. Desirable
- Degree or Diploma in Engineering or equivalent field with relevant work experiences
- Project Planning and Management is an added advantage
- Experience working in emergency response with NGOs, preferably in a humanitarian context.
- At least 1 year experience in the implementation and evaluation of Wash or Shelter projects.
- Knowledge of WASH or Shelter Approaches.
- Good IT skills (especially MS Office).
Languages: (indicate fluency level)
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Fluency in local spoken languages ( Hausa or Kanuri).
Application Closing Date
9th September, 2022 at midnight (GMT-time).
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling bases due to the urgency, therefore a candidate who closely meets the requirements maybe selected before the above deadline.
- Only shortlisted applicants will be invited for written test and oral interview.