- Job Title Technical Author
- Hiring Organization Canonical
- Company Website https://canonical.com/
- Remote Locations Worldwide
- Job Type Remote, Full-Time
Our ambition is to set a standard of excellence in the industry in technical documentation and documentation practice. This is your chance to be a part of that, as a Technical Author.
The role of a Technical Author
You’ll be part of an engineering team, focused on a specific Canonical product area. You will lead the team effort to create, maintain and improve documentation that serves the needs of the product’s users, embracing the principles of the Diátaxis documentation framework You will have a broad impact on – and responsibility for – the quality of the user experience with the product, and will contribute towards the long-term success of the project itself.
As the Technical Author on the team, you will collaborate with software developers, product managers, community members, other documentation authors, information architects, quality assurance engineers and technical support engineers to develop clear documentation for complex technical topics. You’ll be part of our effort to establish documentation as a first-class engineering discipline.
You also be a part of Canonical’s documentation practice team, that includes all the company’s Technical Authors. Here, you’ll be amongst other documentation experts, who collaborate to define documentation excellence.
Location: This is a fully remote role, open to candidates across the globe.
- Create, maintain and improve software documentation
- Work with engineering team members, to help them make effective documentation contributions
- Influence the development of the product, as an expert user of the product, who has important opinions about its function and design
- Engage with user communities to ensure that our documentation meets their needs
- Encourage and support community engagement in and contribution to documentation
- Help standardise the structure, presentation, style and language of content across products
- Collaborate with documentation peers to advance the state of the art in documentation at Canonical
- Challenge and advance documentation understanding and best-practice, as part of a disciplinary team
- Cares deeply about functional written communication
- Is a technical writer with a programmer’s mindset, or a programmer with a record of producing excellent documentation
- Has a record of community engagement, in open-source software, documentation, research or other disciplines
- Is sympathetic to the needs and challenges of open-source software and its communities
- Demonstrates technical curiosity, and is fascinated by software technology and its challenges
- Has demonstrable documentation skills, insight and enthusiasm
- Has experience of software development contexts; is familiar with: Linux, working on the command line, application deployment, system operations, and infrastructure management, Git, documentation markup languages Has excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Holds a BSc/BA degree or equivalent
- Is able to travel twice a year for up to two weeks for events
Additional skills that you might also bring
- Deep technical domain knowledge
- Open-source community leadership and management
- User-experience, interaction or visual design
We consider geographical location, experience, and performance in shaping compensation worldwide. We revisit compensation annually (and more often for graduates and associates) to ensure we recognise outstanding performance. In addition to base pay, we offer a performance-driven annual bonus. We provide all team members with additional benefits, which reflect our values and ideals. We balance our programs to meet local needs and ensure fairness globally.
- Distributed work environment with twice-yearly team sprints in person
- Personal learning and development budget of USD 2,000 per year
- Annual compensation review
- Recognition rewards
- Annual holiday leave
- Maternity and paternity leave
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Opportunity to travel to new locations to meet colleagues
- Priority Pass, and travel upgrades for long haul company events
How To Apply
Click “Apply” below to fill in the application form!
- Remote Job Location Anywhere
- Salary Offer to be discussed
- Experience Level Mid Level, Senior Level
- Education Level Bachelor's Degree
- Working Hours to be arranged (full time based )
- Job Application Via Custom Application Page