Saro Agrosciences is the pioneer subsidiary of the Saroafrica International group and was established in 1991 as Saro Pharma & Chemical Co. Ltd. We have evolved through different operational models and names starting as Saro Pharma & Chemical Co Ltd to Saro Agrochemicals and now Saro Agrosciences. Saro Agrosciences has grown into a leading player in the agriculture industry. We are passionately committed to empowering the Nigerian farmer with superior agro-inputs like Crop Protection Products, Seeds, Fertilizers, Farming Machinery and knowledge that will enable these farmers to increase their yield and livelihood in a sustainable manner.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Plant Breeder Development Lead
Location: Ibadan, Oyo
Employment Type: Full-time
- The Plant Breeder/R&D lead will be responsible for the Seed development function of Saro Agrosciences Ltd. The Plant Breeder will work to develop improve varieties of seed in line with seed development objectives of the company.
- He/She will deploy biotechnology and molecular breeding strategies to develop hybrid Seeds of superior genetic traits for crops of focus that addresses the consumer and market need.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Acquiring (assembling) a suitable base population that has favourable alleles for the trait(s) of interests from relevant CGIAR centres like (IITA or CIMMYT) or from breeders in the public institutions (NARS, Universities)
- Plan and carryout crosses to develop improve hybrid seed for crops of focus targeting certain desired genetic characteristics such as improve yield, size, quality, maturity, drought tolerance, resistance to disease and insect pests (aligned with organization Breeding objectives) for the market, utilizing principles of genetics and knowledge of plant growth.
- Breeding plants, using appropriate breeding methods for hybridization and selection of superior traits
- Present scientific findings and other developmental progress from time to time
- Ensuring timely crops varietal release based on agreed objectives
- Providing support for development other product in the Agric value chain as may be require from consumer insight from time to time
- Abreast with modern day methods of plant breeding and scientific methods
- Coordinating on-station and on-farm trial for selection and registration of proven hybrids variety with varietal release committee and NASC
- Analysing and interpreting data in breeding progression
- Weekly Report of Activities to management
- Occasional report and technical presentation to the Technical Advisory Council
Education and Experience
- Nigerian National having Graduated from a reputed University (preferably with a 1st Class or minimum of 2nd Class Upper)
- A Degree in Biological Sciences, Biotechnology, Botany, Genetics, Agronomy Or Crop Science
- A relevant postgraduate qualification preferably PhD is an added advantage.
- 5 years experience in relevant agricultural / field trials / plant breeding work
- Excellent Research Skills.
- Ability to work independently
- Good communication skills.
- Good Networking & Relationship Building Skills
- Problem Solving Ability
- Analytical Ability
- Technical Skills
- Willingness to travel both within the country.
- 35 Years as at last Birthday.
Deadline: 10th September, 2021.