Lead Governance Officer, ECGF at the African Development Bank Group (AfDB)
African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Lead Governance Officer, ECGF
Location: Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50064843/50064844
- The Chief Economist and Vice-President for Economic Governance and Knowledge Management (ECVP) is the Bank’s spokesperson on economic matters and the Vice-President for the ‘Economics Governance and Knowledge Management Complex’.
- The ECVP is responsible for providing leadership and visibility for the Bank on economic, finance, financial governance and socio-economic development issues; and coordinate the generation of analytical works to inform operational policy; systematically emphasize the critical role of knowledge, experience, lessons learnt and their tangible impact on sustainable, inclusive transformation of African economies.
- The ECVP will inspire, generate and provide direct support to the President and Senior Management of the Bank on a broad range of technical and management issues within the broad remit of economic, finance, public financial governance, management and social economics.
The Hiring Department:
- The Governance and Public Financial Management Coordination Department (ECGF) as part of the ECVP Complex, based at the Headquarters in Abidjan, is responsible for coordination of operationalization of the Bank’s governance policy, strategy and programmes, including lending and non-lending work.
- The ECGF works in collaboration with the Development Research, African Development Institute, and Statistics Experts, in the ECVP, ensuring that the Bank’s substantive technical engagement with key policy and strategy processes in the area of governance and public management are properly coordinated; and that the Bank’s interventions in Regional Member Countries, through program based operations/ budget support and institutional strengthening projects promote effective and accountable governance and public financial management.
- The main purpose of the job will be to lead the coordination, technical advice and support to the delivery of the work-programme of ECGF by coordinating and providing substantive technical leadership in the area of governance policies, strategies, programmes and knowledge management.
- The role of the Lead is to provide strategic advice on the Bank’s position in the governance agenda internationally and regionally; to provide technical advice, guidance and quality control of operations under ECGF’s responsibility in the area of economic and financial governance, including public financial management and combatting corruption.
- S/he will also be responsible for coordinating the Department’s cross-cutting initiatives and advise on strategic matters related to the Bank’s governance agenda.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall guidance of the Director – ECGF, the Lead Governance Officer will perform the following:
- Assist the Director in planning, organising, managing and supervising the activities, work programme, and budget of ECGF.
- Lead/ coordinate the development and implementation of a program of analytical work to reinforce Governance operations and policy dialogue; Facilitate the mobilization of targeted support to the Bank’s governance agenda including through technical assistance and trust funds.
- Promote sector knowledge and dissemination of good practices in the area of governance, within and outside the Bank; articulate and advocate key governance issues and challenges facing the continent and the Bank’s response; strengthen the Bank’s work on governance, anticorruption and public financial management, as well as integrity, transparency and accountability standards and practices.
- Assist the Director in coordinating and supervising staff of the department. Coach and provide professional guidance to staff. Lead and foster teamwork in the department towards the delivery of the work program.
- Provide technical support and operational guidance, to ensure the timely delivery and quality of the Banks operations, in the area of governance, including through the review of reports on the different stages of the operations cycle (identification, preparation, appraisal, supervision), sector studies and policy papers, as well as participation in project missions;
- Lead, guide and support the Bank’s strategic engagement and knowledge base with its partners (AU, UNECA, UNDP, World Bank, European Commission, OECD, pivotal bilateral donors) and relevant special initiatives, such as Africa Peer Review Mechanism (APRM), Africa Technical Assistance Centres Initiative (AFRITAC), Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative (EITI), the Collaborative African Budget Reform Initiative (CABRI), African Tax Administration Forum (ATAF), in close coordination with the Director and respective Task Managers.
- Advise on policy matters, strategic issues, special initiatives and strategic partnerships relating to the Governance work of the Bank. Lead, coordinate and/or participate in the preparation and review of policy statements, briefs, strategies and various reports on governance.
- Coordinate engagement in corporate processes, policies and guidelines especially on budget support, governance, and public financial management, including the review of IFF and Governance strategies, as well as relevant evaluations (on budget support, public financial management, fragile states).
- Ensure that governance aspects are mainstreamed in Bank country strategy papers and Bank-financed operations, in collaboration with the other Bank organizational units; Play an active part in formulation and implementation of Bank policies, initiatives and operations, in light of international best practice with the aim of strengthening quality at entry, operational effectiveness and policy dialogue.
- Represent the Bank at technical conferences and report on best practice with a view to disseminating it to the Department’s staff. Also liaise with the other organizational units to prepare the Director’s participation in conferences, workshops and initiatives within the Department’s scope of responsibility.
- Hold at least a Master’s degree or its equivalent in Economics, Public Administration, Governance/ Political Science, Law or related fields.
- Have a minimum of eight (08) years of experience in governance, public sector management, policy formulation, public expenditure or related areas.
- Proven ability to build and lead a team in and interdisciplinary and multicultural environment, a very good team spirit, valuing mutual respect as well as regular and open communication;
- Strong experience in the design and delivery of governance operations (including investment projects, results-based operations and program-based operations), as well as project management,
- Proven ability to conduct research, analyze and produce reports. Publications on topics related governance would be an added advantage;
- Sound understanding of governance issues in developing countries, in particularly around macroeconomic management, transparency and accountability in public financial management, ensuring a business enabling environment, combatting corruption and illicit financial flows, and promoting participation and demand side governance.
- Demonstrable experience of the operational policies, procedures and practices of major bilateral or multilateral organisations in Africa;
- Track record in engaging policy dialogue and providing advisory services and capacity building.
- In-depth understanding of governance and public management issues, including strong background in Africa and/or countries in transition.
- Ability to broker knowledge through partnerships, collaborations and networks.
- Familiarity with operational policies and programming practices of multilateral organisation
- International experience working in development in several countries.
- Ability to apply innovative approaches, work independently and apply new methods to solve problems, while remaining efficient in a fast-paced, changing and challenging environment;
- Ability to succeed in multi-cultural environment
- Capacity to manage sensitive situations requiring work under pressure to deliver results within the prescribed time limits;
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, with a working knowledge of the other. Knowledge of Arabic or Portuguese would be an added advantage.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint). Experience in the use of SAP is advantageous.
Deadline; 13th February, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Important Information & Notice
- This Position is Classified as International Recruitment and Attracts International Terms and Conditions of Employment.
- Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem, to: HR Direct HRDirect@AFDB.ORG(link sends e-mail)
- To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
- Applicants who fully meet the Bank’s requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.