Danish Refugee Council in Nigeria Vacancy for Regional DDG WAM Project Manager (Mine Action)
Danish Demining Group (DDG) is looking for a dynamic, bilingual (French and English) Project Manager to implement and expand DDG’s programming portfolio in the West Africa region.
About the job
Your main duties and responsibilities as Project Manager will be: To ensure that our existing programming is delivered to a high standard and help to identify opportunities and develop new DDG programming in the region in response to emerging needs. This is a demanding position which requires a highly motivated, driven, self-starter.
This is a regional position, which will be based in Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire or Abuja, Nigeria. The Project Manager will be responsible for the business development and implementation of DDG’s PSSM and SALW work in the region and ensure quality programming design and delivery. The Project Manager is line managed by the DDG Regional Manager, and works in close collaboration with DDG’s Global Advisors.
Project management and development
- Identify programming opportunities and work with the DDG Regional Manager and DDG Programme Managers to mobilise resources and capacity
- Advise on programme design and implementation of DDG programming in the region
- Work closely with DRC Country Directors and programme advisors to develop and implement integrated DRC/DDG programming
- Ensure use of current and future DDG methodologies through development or contextualization of DDG standards, frameworks and manuals.
- Prepare and deliver SALW / ammunition training courses to relevant stakeholders in line with DDG frameworks and standards.
- Analyse and recommend improvements to DDG HQ following assessments and training courses
Technical Line Management and responsibilities
- Conduct technical risk assessments of weapons and ammunition storage facilities and prepare a technical evaluation reports.
- Provide technical support on equipment and materials to improve physical security and management of storage facilities.
- Liaise with relevant stakeholders with regards to planning and implementation of physical security and management improvements.
- Liaise with national authorities, ministries and security providers for business development
- Coordinate and manage additional resources during implementation of physical security and management projects.
- Develop concept notes, project proposals and budgets as required, in coordination with the DDG Regional Manager
- Represent DDG and liaise with donors as delegated by the DDG Regional Manager
- Ensure DDG’s PSSM activities and deliverables are meeting the necessary quality requirements.
- Provide technical support in business development and meetings with external stakeholders.
- Conduct timely reporting on DDG PSSM activities.
- Provide the necessary support to DRC and DDG programs globally on physical security and management of storage facilities upon request.
To be successful in this role we expect you to have solid experience in program management. Moreover, we also expect the following:
- At least 5 years programming experience in the areas of mine action, conflict prevention/resolution, PSSM, small arms control and/or stability.
- Relevant educational background
- Experience with IATGs, ISACS and IMAS
- Technical knowledge of SALW and EOD is essential
- High degree of computer literacy
- Basic construction knowledge
- Minimum of 3 years’ field experience in conflict affected areas; experience in West Africa an advantage
- Proven experience in project management, including planning and project development, budget management, reporting, staff management and monitoring and evaluation
- Experience in teaching is an advantage
- Proven resource mobilisation experience with key donors
- Fluency in English AND French are essential
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.
Contract length: 12 months with possibility of extension, subject to performance
Salary Level: B1
Designation of Duty Station: Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire or Abuja Nigeria with frequent travel to project sites in West Africa (up to (80%)
Start date: As soon as possible
This is a Non-Family Duty post. Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates; please refer to drc.ngo under vacancies. For questions regarding the vacancy please contact Roger Fasth at email@example.com .
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.**
Closing date for applications: 25th February 2018. Please note that this is a recruitment process in progress and thus, qualified candidates can and will be invited for an interview before the closing date.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please contact our job support at drc.ngo/jobsupport.
- Posted On 2018-02-09
- Location Abuja
- Work Hours 0