Consultant Driver (Kaduna) at the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the United Nations’ global development network. It advocates for change and connects countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life for themselves. It provides expert advice, training and grants support to developing countries, with increasing emphasis on assistance to the least developed countries. It promotes technical and investment cooperation among nations.
Headquartered in New York City, the status of UNDP is that of an executive board within the United Nations General Assembly. The UNDP is funded entirely by voluntary contributions from UN member states. The organization operates in 177 countries, where it works with local governments to meet development challenges and develop local capacity.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Consultant Driver
Additional Category: Crisis Response
Type of Contract: Individual Contract
Post Level: National Consultant
Languages Required: English
Starting Date: (date when the selected candidate is expected to start) 20-Sep-2022
Duration of Initial Contract: Initial 6 months with Possibility for Extension
Expected Duration of Assignment: Initial 6 months with Possibility for Extension
- Insecurity in the North-west region of Nigeria – especially Katsina, Kaduna and Sokoto is characterized by a complex blending of communal conflicts, farmer-herder conflict, armed banditry and organized crime.
- These conflict drivers are further amplified by demographic pressure, relative deprivation, perceptions of economic exclusion and climate-induced risks.
- While numerous peace agreements including in Kastina and Zamfara and amnesties provided some short-term stability, violence that resurged in the North West, especially in 2020 poses a significant stability risk to the region and country as a whole.
- In Katsina and Kaduna States for example, organized communal violence and banditry attacks tripled from April to June 2021 and at least 80,150 and 67,192 people respectively are now in IDP camps with many more urbanely displaced.
- A UN mission to the region identified a combined number of 193 hotspot communities in Kaduna; 194 in Katsina; 106 in Zamfara and 40 in Sokoto – indicating the urgent need to mobilise urgent response and peacebuilding support to the region.
- UNDP has also been on the forefront of shaping the analytics on changing security dynamics in the region.
- Using sentiment analysis, this assessment conducted in Jan/March 2021 provided the basis upon which the Peace and Stability Outlook below was produced.
- A series of complimentary conflict analysis were undertaken by the EU, FCDO. Related assessments on the socio-economic context was carried out by UNICEF; while Humanitarian actors undertook rapid review of the evolving humanitarian situation in the country.
- The organisation also produced jointly by UNDP and FCDO as a framework for understanding the changing dynamics of instability in the North West. This note presented to the first North West Likeminded Group set the tone for high level advocacy and engagement in the region.
- In terms of field engagement, UNDP convened both technical and high-level inter-agency mission to the three states with the objective of mapping possible entry points for UN and International support to the region. This mission had a focus on prevention.
- Therefore, UNDP Nigeria is looking for a driver to support the field coordinator in delivering UNDP’s programmatic support in the North West Region.
- Under the direct supervision of the field coordinator, the driver provides reliable and safe driving services to the UNDP Kaduna field office team ensuring the highest standards of discretion and integrity, sense of responsibility, and excellent knowledge of protocol and security issues.
- The Driver also demonstrates a client-oriented approach, courtesy, confidentiality, tact and ability to work with people of different national and cultural backgrounds
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Provision of reliable and secure driving services
- Proper use of vehicle
- Day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle
- Availability of documents/ supplies
- Ensures provision of reliable and safe driving services by a) driving office vehicles for the transport of UNDP personnel, visitors and other authorized personnel and delivery and collection of mail, documents and other items and b) meeting official personnel and visitors at the airport and other tasks as required.
- Ensures cost-savings through proper use of vehicle through accurate maintenance of daily vehicle logs, provision of inputs to preparation of the vehicle maintenance plans and reports.
- Ensures proper day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle through timely minor repairs, arrangements for major repairs, timely changes of oil, check of tires, brakes, car washing, etc.
- Ensures availability of all the required documents/supplies including vehicle insurance, vehicle logs, office directory, and map of the city/country, first aid kit, and necessary spare parts.
- Ensures that all immediate actions required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in accidents.
Impact of Results:
- The key results have an impact on the accurate, safe and timely execution of the Country Office services.
- Collects and compiles data with speed and accuracy identifying what is relevant and discarding what is not, records it in an accessible manner and maintains data bases
- Thoroughly and methodically collects, verifies and records data demonstrating attention to detail and identifying and correcting errors on own initiative
- Transmits file data; creates and generate queries, reports and documents utilizing databases, spreadsheets, communications and other software packages with speed and accuracy
- Interprets data, draws conclusions and/or identifies patterns which support the work of others
Managing Documents, Correspondence and Reports:
- Creates, edits and presents information (queries, reports, documents) in visually pleasing, clear and presentable formats such as tables, forms, presentations, briefing notes/books and reports using advanced word processing and presentation functions and basic database and spreadsheet software
- Ability to produce accurate and well documented records conforming to the required standard
Planning, Organizing and Multi-Tasking:
- Organises and accurately completes multiple tasks by establishing priorities while taking into consideration special assignments, frequent interruptions, deadlines, available resources and multiple reporting relationships
- Plans, coordinates and organises workload while remaining aware of changing priorities and competing deadlines
- Demonstrates ability to quickly shift from one task to another to meet multiple support needs
- Establishes, builds and maintains effective working relationships with staff and clients to facilitate the provision of support.
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Knowledge of UNDP administrative policies and procedures.
- Organizational, planning and prioritizing skills and abilities.
- Ability to deal patiently and tactfully with visitors.
- Sense of initiative and good judgment.
- Ability to work in a team environment to achieve common goals
- Ability to perform a variety of repetitive and routine tasks and duties
- Ability to review data, identify and adjust discrepancies
- Ability to handle a large volume of work possibly under time constraints
- Good knowledge of administrative rules and regulations
- Ability to operate and maintain a variety of computerized business machines and office equipment in order to provide efficient delivery of service
- Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks by establishing priorities
- Demonstrates excellent knowledge of driving rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle repair (for Drivers)
- Demonstrates excellent knowledge of protocol (for Drivers)
- Demonstrates excellent knowledge of security issues (for Drivers)
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education. Valid Driver’s license.
- 3 years’ work experience as a driver; safe driving record; knowledge of driving rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle repair.
- Excellent knowledge of geographical architecture of North West
- Experience working in Katsina and other parts of the North west
- Oral and written English, working knowledge of Hausa language
Criteria for Selection of the Best Offer:
- Secondary Education- Complies or Not
- 3 years’ work experience as a driver; safe driving record; knowledge of driving rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle repair – 20 Points
- Valid Driver’s license – 20 Points
- Excellent knowledge of the evolving peace and security dynamics in Katsina and other parts of the Northwest 20 Points
- Ability to work under pressure in a multicultural and complex environment – 20 Points
- Experience of working in Katsina and other parts of the Northwest – 10 Points
- Previous working experience with UN agencies or national government is an asset -10 points.
Criteria for Selection of the Consultant
- The offer will be evaluated by using the best value for money approach (combined scoring method). Technical proposal will be evaluated on 70%. Whereas budget proposed will be evaluated on 30% based on sufficiency for applying the data gathering techniques and for obtaining reliable data for the evaluation in the timeframe indicated. Below is the breakdown of technical proposal on 100% which will be brought to 70%:
- National Consultant (Associate) technical evaluation criteria:(Weight; 100% and Max Point; 100)
Application Closing Date
2nd September, 2022 (Midnight New York, USA).
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online