British Council Vacancy for Director Research – Kano, Nigeria
British Council Nigeria is looking to hire an individual with strong research background as our Director Research to lead on the delivery of high profile research in support of British Council Nigeria’s Country strategy and programme delivery. The role will also see the successful post holder act as the Senior Responsibility Manager for our operations in Kano with associated representational, leadership and management responsibilities.
Purpose of job
- Lead on the delivery of high profile research in support of British Council Nigeria’s country strategy, programme delivery and external role and profile.
- Represent the British Council externally, positioning the British Council as a thought leader in our strategic business areas of Arts, English, Education and Society; and contributing to business development.
- Secure research funding
- Support delivery of high impact programmes through line management of the Monitoring, Evaluation and Results Manager and overview of the corporate results framework in Nigeria; and supporting teams to monitor, evaluate and learn from the projects and programmes they manage.
- Be the senior responsible manager for the British Council operation in Kano, providing leadership and guidance to the team, and engaging with key stakeholders for the British Council in Northern Nigeria.
If this is of interest, please read below:
Director Research, Nigeria
We are looking for someone with:
· Track record of producing high quality research publications and managing research teams
· Track record of securing funding for undertaking research projects
· Experience of working with partner or client funds
· Experience of gender analysis
· Experience with theory-based evaluation and a range of evaluation methods
· Specialist Knowledge (from doctorate qualification) in subject relevant to British Council, supported by publications and references
· Active in research within the past 5 years
· Evidence of strong critical appraisal skills
· Working knowledge of the international research discourse and the research discourse in Nigeria
· Working knowledge of sources of funding for research
· Working knowledge of Nigerian education system and research capacity.
· Working knowledge of key development themes in Nigeria
· Network of contacts in the academic and social research sectors in Nigeria
· Network of contacts in Kano and Northern Nigeria in sectors relevant to British Council
We encourage candidates from Northern Nigeria who use Hausa fluently.
As part of the recruitment exercise, shortlisted candidates will undergo IELTS test (test of English) and interviews.
Short-listing is carried out against the essential knowledge, skills, qualifications and experience as specified in the Role Profile which accompanies this. Were required, desirable skills can also be used.
For further information please view the documents below:
Director Research Role Profile
BC Core Skills.pdf
Applications for this vacancy are to be made online. The closing date is 29th December 2017 at 23:59 UK Time. If you have any questions which aren’t answered in the vacancy information above, please contact NigeriaHR@ng.britishcouncil.org.
The British Council is committed to a policy of equal opportunity and is keen to reflect diversity of UK society at every level within the organisation. We welcome applications from all sections of the community. We guarantee an interview to disabled candidates who meet the essential criteria. British Council appointments are contingent on thorough checks. In the UK, and where appropriate systems exist overseas, these include Criminal Records checks.
- Posted On 2017-12-07
- Location Kano
- Work Hours 0