Assistant Financial Controller, West Africa at Unilever Nigeria Plc
Unilever Nigeria Plc – Welcome to Unilever, a global multinational and fast-moving consumer goods (FMCG) company with products sold in over 190 countries and more than 2 billion consumers across the world who use our amazing products everyday!
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Assistant Financial Controller, West Africa
Job Requisition ID: R-64756
Job Type: Full time
- The Commercial Experience Vision is to become a Best-in-Class solutions organization recognized both externally and internally. Within this context, it requires balancing sometime contradicting priorities around cost, experience, discipline, and compliance become critical and need very capable leaders at the helm who can steer and balance both challenge and support to the Markets organization.
- With regional controllerships evolving around the world, we are in a process of piloting this initiative in West Africa (Ghana Nigeria and CDI). The Commercial Controller- Africa would be responsible for partnering with the Africa Controllers and NFDs leading the end-to-end processes to deliver service, continuous process improvement, process/financial control discipline across all markets. West Africa is one of Unilever’s complex geographies which require sharp focus on cost, controls, and market priorities.
- Leading ComEX and business engagement in West Africa including being an integral part of markets finance team.
- Driving effective and comprehensive Joint business plans between the Cluster and ComEx including effective delivery and performance management against the same which will include but not limited to:
- Coordinate period end close (PEC) with markets and ensure all judgmental journals have been booked in the ledger.
- Review and maintain approval for Sundry invoicing (intercompany) across the 3 markets. Perform Financial report pre-close analysis and advise the interventions to be made. Review of Financial reports prepared by the team and ensure completeness.
- Financial reporting review and sign-off with controllers and NFDs Responsibility for local accounts balance sheet reconciliations Maintaining the financial control discipline and hygiene in the MCO, while supporting Control Service Center and GCAD teams to improve the country capabilities in terms of risk management and mitigation.
- Integration of the service lines to ensure that all global and regional services are delivered to the business in accordance with agreed service levels and performance targets, continuously minimizing the probability and impact of any unplanned service interruption. Working with GCAD on accounting for acquisitions and disposals.
- Leading the integration with business in West Africa MCO Foster close relationships across Commercial Experience to ensure tight integration and harmonized ways of working as part of the wider global operating model.
- Act as the escalation point for most significant day-to-day issues or problems in the Market Cluster/Countries.
- Managing the relationships with Third Party Service Providers with the right balance between creating accountability and strong visible partnership, while ensuring financial control compliance within the region.
- Building collaborative partnering relationships with all key stakeholders.
- Leading and developing a team of 4 direct reports.
- Contributing to the success of the broader Commercial Experience organization through leading and delivery of agreed strategic thrusts.
The role holder should be passionate about customer experience, business partnering, process improvement and service delivery and will demonstrate the:
- Ability to define the short term and mid-term strategies for the West Africa MCO which add value to larger Commercial Experience agenda.
- Ability to identify the improvement opportunities in West Africa MCO driven by local business needs and the Commercial Experience global agenda:
- Ability to create business impact with strong governance and drive in stewardship and control agenda with strong communication.
- Inspirational leadership to lead teams and help people to discover their full potential.
- Strong working knowledge various cross functional business processes as they relate to the R2R end-to-end process and strong finance skills.
- Strong risk management knowledge to spot the possible risks and proactively mitigate them.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills to build effective relationships with key stakeholders, extended teams, and external parties.
- Experience and awareness of working in a global role, demonstrate awareness and empathy to cultural diversity.
- Customer and service centric mindset, placing the business need at the heart of each solution.
- Ability to work under pressure and, at times, in ambiguous situations and with speed in decision making.
Skills / Experience / Qualifications
- An MBA, CIMA or an equivalent Business Management or Finance Degree with minimum of 6 years of overall experience in Business Partnering, Controllership and Management roles.
- Ability to influence senior stakeholders and a proven record in leading change projects.
- A prior experience in a global or change management role would be preferred.
- Good Understanding of P&L and financial controls
- Excellent command of English, including written, oral and presentation skills
- Understanding and excellent application of Analytical tools
- Ability to lead large teams without hierarchy, including demonstrated peer leadership.
- Having a solution mindset, while having the ability to face into and effectively manage conflict.
Share this job with your friends!